Couples who are moving in together or need a new bed have a lot to consider. Bed size is an important aspect.
Certain factors can determine which size is most appropriate for you and your significant other. A comparison of available bed sizes can help you make an educated decision.
Common Sizes of Beds for Couples
Couples need enough room to feel comfortable when they’re in bed. The bed should be wide enough to accommodate each person, which means that standard twin size isn’t the best option.
Overall, that leaves three-bed sizes you might want to consider. They include the following:
- Full: The Full or Full XL is also considered a “Double” size. If you and your significant other are on the shorter side and don’t need as much room, it’s a good bed size for you. The Full measures 54 inches in width and 74 inches in height. The Full XL has the same width but is 80 inches long.
- Queen: Queen size is the most common size bed worldwide. It’s popular due to being able to accommodate two people and allows them to shift around comfortably. The standard Queen is 60 inches wide and 80 inches long. The Olympic Queen offers six extra inches of height. Then, there’s the rare California Queen, which is 84 inches wide and 60 inches in length.
- King: The King is the largest bed size, giving the maximum room for each person to comfortably sleep if they prefer their own personal space. The Standard King is 76 inches wide and 80 inches long. The California King is 72 inches wide and 84 inches long.
When to Consider a Full Mattress?
If you and your partner don’t care about extra space while sleeping and prefer to cuddle, a Full should be perfectly fine. This size is also much more affordable than its larger counterparts.
The Full is also a lot easier to move around, which means you’ll have a better time if you live in a walk-in with a flight of stairs and no elevator.
If one of you is a bit taller, you can still enjoy this size mattress if you get the XL version for that added foot room.
When to Consider a King Mattress?
King size beds are extra comfortable and roomy for couples who prefer to have their own personal space in the bed. If you enjoy cuddling while still awake but prefer your own space for sleeping, the King is probably your best bet.
It’s also great for sharing with a pet, even if you have a large breed dog or even your child.
Obviously, one downside to King beds is that they’re pricier. However, something to keep in mind when checking a mattress size chart is, regardless of size, if you get memory foam instead of a standard innerspring, you’ll pay a few dollars more. They can also be more cumbersome to move into your home.
When to Consider a Queen Mattress?
A Queen size bed is usually the perfect option for couples. It’s the most popular size and is big enough for most people.
You can cuddle but also have the option of sleeping in your own personal space. There is also the option of a slightly longer mattress with the Olympic Queen if one of you is taller.
Another good aspect of Queen beds is that they’re easier to move around if you’re considering getting a new one or plan to move with your bed.
Benefits of Having a Good Mattress Size for Couples
There are various benefits for couples having a good mattress size. They include the following:
- Better sleep: The right size mattress for couples promotes better sleep, ensuring better health.
- Better sex: If your bed is the right size for both of you, sex will be even better as well.
- Prevents back pain: When you and your partner have a good mattress size, it can prevent back pain in both of you.
When you get the best size bed for you and your significant other, you will both have a more enjoyable sleep and a better time in bed as a whole.