Site icon Sad To Happy Project

3 Ways to Get Rid of Mold to Stay Healthy

Mold is an uninvited guest that doesn’t depart quickly. It crawls into the dark, humid places and quietly grows where no one can see it.

Leaving mold untreated can cause respiratory problems along with aggravating allergies. The rapid growth of mold harms a family’s health. This is why one should watch decay and stop its development before it spreads.

However, one must maintain their calm when they spot mold in their household. Dr. Lauren Tessier, a Naturopathic Physician in Vermont, gives us a piece of great advice in this regard. He says:

“If you find mold in your home, don’t panic. Stressing over things just activates our flight or fight system, which can make us feel worse. Simply make a plan and get to work.”

How does mold affect health?

Mold exposure occurs when you inhale mold or get it on your skin. The delicate mucous membranes of our mouth, nose, and ears are pretty sensitive to mold exposure. People who are living in moldy and damp conditions are more likely to experience health issues.

Some people have termed it “toxic mold.” Some common health problems people face when exposed to mold are:

Symptoms can occur overnight or develop slowly. Chronic exposure to mycotoxins tends to wear down the immune system. This could lead to abdominal pain, headache, vomiting, and some other ailments. Every kind of mold could lead to allergic reactions such as watery eyes, scaly skin, and skin rash.

Sometimes, mold could grow beyond repair. In such cases, look for the best mold removal services in your area. Enter your location, for example, ““, to find local prodigies.

Avoid toxic cleaning solutions

A few types of cleaning solutions could be great at dealing with all kinds of mess. But companies are not consistently producing the solutions with consumer health in mind. Their motive is to get rid of the mold anyway. Therefore, many of these products contain harmful chemicals and could be toxic if ingested. 

The toxic chemicals could be harmful to the users, their pets, and their household. Not only this, they can cause damage to the environment too. For instance, when these products are rinsed down the drain or disposed of, they could leach into groundwater, causing more problems.

The answer to this misery is using natural mold cleaners. These could do the job efficiently without creating any further issues. And the best part is, most of these natural cleaning solutions are pocket-friendly.

Scroll down to find a few!

3 ways to get rid of mold

Here are three ways to treat mold using natural products:

White vinegar is a mildly acidic product that deodorizes, cleans, and disinfects. It can kill 82% of mold species. These include black mold that covers porous and non-porous surfaces. You can safely use it on most surfaces, and its odor quickly goes away.

Vinegar can also stop bacteria and viruses in its tracks. So cleaning your home can help your family and let you all stay healthy.

How to use it?

Pour undiluted white vinegar into a spray bottle. It contains only 20% acetic acid, so adding water will make it less effective. Spray the vinegar on a moldy surface and leave it there for an hour. And the final step is to wipe the area clean with water and let the surface dry. Any smell from vinegar should go within an hour.

Hydrogen peroxide is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal solution. It is typically present in most medical cabinets and works wonders for mold removal. You can use it on surfaces like kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures, counters, hard flooring, and some kinds of wall surfaces.

As it is a non-toxic cleaner, you can safely use it around kids, pets, and the elderly. There are limited chances of respiratory issues happening due to hydrogen peroxide.

How to use it?

Pour about 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Next, test a small portion on the surface to prevent discomfort or decoloration. Saturate on the moldy surface and let it stay for ten minutes. Next, scrub the area with a bit of force to remove mold and its stains. Once the surface is free of mold, wipe it away.

Baking soda holds a wide range of uses around the house. One such use is the removal of black mold. 

It is safe for pets, kids, and the elderly living within the home. Besides killing black mold, it absorbs moisture that attracts mildew. However, it is essential to check the effectiveness of baking soda. It should be fresh. This can be tested by adding a drop of vinegar to a pinch of baking soda. If it produces bubbles vigorously, it should be effective on mold.

How to use it?

Add a quarter teaspoon of baking soda to a standard spray bottle. Mix it with water and shake until the powder completely dissolves. Next, spray the solution over the moldy area. Use a scrub brush to remove the mold. You might like to remove this process the next day for further removal of mold.

How to prevent mold?

Mold can grow on any surface that contains moisture. There are some tips to prevent decay from forming in a household. Some of which are:

Final Words

Mold in a household could be scary. But there is no reason to panic and lose your mind. Instead of finding a new place, research ways to get rid of the mold. The natural ways listed above could help you fight the mildew efficiently.

Nonetheless, in some cases, things might go out of control. If it seems alarming, don’t hesitate twice before calling a professional. 


Exit mobile version